By Chinonye Anyatonwu
The Federal Ministry of Transportation (FMoT) has directed that Abuja-Kaduna train service should resume on May 23, as was contained in a statement issued on Monday.
Train services had been suspended on the route after terrorists attacked a train, fatally shot several persons, and abducted scores of passengers in March.
In a statement signed by spokesperson Yakubu Mahmood, the Nigerian Railway Corporation (NRC) said the decision to resume services does not mean efforts to secure the safe release of those abducted will be put on hold.
“The Federal Government will never abdicate its responsibility in rescuing these valuable citizens, however, the government assures of its resolve not to succumb to threats by any faceless group.”
In its statement, Mahmood said additional security measures are being put in place to beef up security at the train stations and along the track.
According to him, “these measures are not only for the Abuja-Kaduna Train Service (AKTS) but also for all the passenger train services especially on the standard gauge railway lines,” the statement said.
“Consequently, the passengers are hereby enjoined to cooperate with the NRC in order to enjoin improved service delivery, safety and comfort.
This he said is by patiently comply with additional measures that will surely be introduced for the safety of our passengers, such as requesting for passengers National Identification Numbers (NIN) as part of our internal security check.”
Mahmood stated that customers must present a Valid Photo Identification Card (ID) and a reachable telephone number of Next of Kin (NOK) or close relative before boarding a train.
Online and offline purchase of tickets must contain the passengers individual profile or identification data, the NRC said.
Leave a Reply